Sunday 3 September 2017

God I love the Pound Shop

We all have them, be them £1 shops, $1 Stores or €1 markets, and they are a fantastic source of bits of rubbish for our gaming minds, a positive gold mine of crap.

Well the one good side of my office move (will I ever stop moaning about it) is that I now have very good access to not one but two of the different British £1 chains, PoundLand and PoundWorld, as well as that other fantastic source of gaming junk - Wilkos, in fact the only one missing is the slightly undercutting 99p Store.  So I was perusing the aisles the other day to get a sieve and some plastic boxes (more of that later) when I stumbled upon everyone's favourite South East Asian god like statue - Buddha.  
Now I've been looking for a Thai style Buddha that would scale as a large statue with 1/72 for quite some time and not wanting to spend more than perhaps £5, in fact I nearly bought one whilst on holiday for about €4 (which these days is pretty much the same as £4 - thanks Brexit) but it was a bit on the small side and I would have had to explain it to SWMBO and I really couldn't be arsed with that so didn't bother.  Now these £1 finds are a good size standing at about 5" and came in four poses, but only two really fitted my minds eye image.




The plan is to build a kind of temple which will be draped with vines and vegetation to look like some lost jungle shrine in Burma or the like.  I might even gently break one of them to make it seem like the ravages of time have done their worst.  
First job, hit them with a blast of undercoat and think about how I'll finish them off to look like old stone.


Looking more stone like already












Now I wonder if this stuff would work and give me the effect I want. But considering this is a bit of a budget project shelling out £7.99 on a can of spray which may well be a disaster seems a stretch.













It may well take me several years to get around to doing this, god knows it's taken more than a few to actually buy the bloody statues, but at least I've made a start.


So with these clasped in my sweaty little mitts it was off to the kitchen zone to pick up a sieve and some of those plastic take away boxes, all for just a pound a piece (apart from the take away boxes where you get 8 for your £1).  




I know this seems a bit of an odd purchase, especially the smaller tea strainer sieve (which actually had to come from Amazon as an add-on order), but I have a large bag of sharp sand from a building project some time ago and it's quite good for sprinkling on the bases of my desert buildings I discovered the other week.  but some of it is a bit course for the effect I want.  So...



Sieve the stuff into different grades and store it ready for use.  Should make my life a little easier.

And on a related note to that, one of the stops on our holidays this year was a visit to the volcanic island of La Palma in the Canary Islands which has black sand beaches.  


Honestly it looked much blacker in person












Now it would be rude not to gather some of this sand for future investigation/projects, wouldn't it.











And a few holiday snaps just to bore you all

An old cannon at the fort
The walls of the old fort




























Home in the distance

The family, doesn't Nobby look happy to be on holiday

3 comments:

  1. I got moaned at for bringing a bag of sand home from hols. Saves a bit of dosh though ah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got moaned at for bringing a bag of sand home from hols. Saves a bit of dosh though ah?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think how much they'd moan if we went out buying designer black sand for our little toys though Ray (especially as I live about a 5 minute drive from the beach).

      Delete