Friday 25 August 2017

Afghan/North African Compound - Part 1



I hinted some time ago about turning an old phone headset box in to an Afghan/North Africa/Mexican adobe compound (link) and I promised a more detailed entry about how I made it.  So here it is.


Inspired by the work of the chaps over at Irrational Number Line Games who posted their exploits on TMP I recognised the box as one I'd seen lying around in the old office before it was closed down.  So with the box recovered I had the basis for my own adobe complex.  So whilst SWMBO was watching her soaps or drooling over Poldark I was cutting and sticking on a little table in the lounge, that way I was being sociable by being in the same room (even if she was roll her eyes at my antics).






Top of the box cut away with a flap left to tuck in to form a thicker compound wall

Foamcore inserts for the front and back walls of the house




Internal supports added for the roof, bit OTT really
The roof in place along with the door and windows cut out



A couple of views of the rear 'windows', these were a bit of a challenge to cut out as I had stupidly fixed the wall in place already, doh!
Adding the little details of the roof struts.  I spent far too long doing these really, trying to shape each one to have a nice angle at the end - uneccessary.





A quick bit of slap on it all.  Filler paint (the sort that will cover hairline cracks in your walls) and sand mixture, but I think the sand was a bit coarse for this though it looks okay in the pictures it's quite pronounce in the flesh.









Next up in Part 2 some toning down of the brilliant white to make it look a little more lived in, adding the tiled floor, the door, windows and gates and some stables.
Oh, and a comparison with the 3D printed house.










No comments:

Post a Comment