Sunday 20 August 2017

A Nice Little Extra

So there was an interesting news article the other day over on TMP for a range of Arabic buildings to print yourself from Terrain4Print (article here).  Now the file is only $10 and the instructions looked pretty interesting, only problem is... I don't have a 3D printer.  Nor do I know anything about 3D printers, how they work, how much they cost or cost to run, etc etc.  But I do have a colleague who's into all that sort of stuff.

So started to bend the ear of Mr M at work and he pointed me to a very interesting site called Thingiverse and what a revelation it was, all these free to use 3D print files.  Mr M offered to print me a test if I could find something like the building I was describing to him.  So I had a poke about and stumbled upon a free sample of the very files I had seen on TMP (here), Bingo.

So a couple of days later I get the call that I have a present waiting for me...  A lovely little adobe building in sturdy ABS, minus a roof, doors or windows/shutters but they should be with me on Monday, apparently this 3D printing lark takes quite some time.  Now the scaling is a little out, we went for 80%, but perhaps 66% would be closer to 1/72 now I've had chance to measure things properly.

A quick base and a sprinkle of sand and it's ready to hit with some undercoat

Now Mr M is a bit of a perfectionist and wasn't happy with the first attempt as it hadn't adhered to the print bed in one corner, the second attempt there was a power problem and it stopped and there was another issue with the third.  But rather than just bin them all I sense a ruined hamlet coming on...



So a massive thank you to Mr M and watch this space for progress on this quick little project.

No comments:

Post a Comment