Sunday 9 October 2016

An Unexpected Find

Well what a turn up for the books.  As things have been progressing with my Afghan/North African/Middle East compound (not decide which it is yet, the colour will determine it I think) I had run out of my to hand matchstick pile and so needed to get some more out of my long term storage, or at least where I hoped I had stored them many years ago, namely a big tool box bought especially for figures and painting stuff and shoved in a corner under the office desk (doubling as a foot stool). 
SWMBO has an identical one with card making/scrapbooking stuff in, they were pretty cheap considering the size and have proven to be quite sturdy and up to the job.  Anyhow I digress....



Baby brother more or less
 emptied when the bureau arrived
So I dragged out the weighty chest and flipped the first lid and marvelled at the amount of unpainted lead there was (I know a small pile by many peoples standards) and how many of them I had completely forgotten I had.


Dwarves, human and orcs in various states of finish

But I needed those matchsticks, so lid was closed and I  moved on to the interior of the chest.  The inner storage compartment was empty of anything of interest, lifting this inner tray away what created my eyes was quite a surprise!!  Three 1/72 armour kits I had completely forgotten about, and a bag of primitively finished and unfinished armour, along with two boxes of painted orcs and uruks and a bag of more unfinished lead.  Along with a couple of HO/OO railway wagons (for some bizarre reason).

Ooooo, a box full of goodies

99p for a kit, oh the days of cheap innocence

Not my finest work, but hey I was young what can I say.


The M113 was a terrible casting an today I would have sent it
back and demanded a replacement and/or my money back.


I can only assume I had these from a friend?

Old Citadel Regiments of Renown, with some supplements.

I think these were the first figures I ever bought, shocking paint jobs!


A mystery bag of lead.....

From the scratchings on the bottom I think these are Garrison figures, probably from the 1980s.

These fine fellows I couldn't identify a maker, but if anybody can please let me know.

Oh and the matchsticks?  They were in the baby brother toolbox which I hadn't completely emptied, or so it appears.

Ahh there they are, the little buggers!

8 comments:

  1. What a great find, its excellent when long forgotten gems turn up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aint it just Ray. I know I still have another stash somewhere in the garage, somewhere.

      Delete
  2. 99p a kit? Extortion. When I started an Airfix series 1 kit was 2 shillings. They're about £8 now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha John, I would have had to of started really early to have got them at that price being a child of the 70s.

      Delete
  3. Mighty Matchbox!

    Huzzah!!! Excellent find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to love the old Matchbox kits, wonder what these would fetch on the bay these days.

      About £12 having a quick look, nahh not worth the hassle.

      Delete
  4. Don´t ja just love it when things like this happen...old memories, the nostalgia. I´ve got literally thousands of figs in boxes (about 50, 000+ plus kits and and..)...I don´t open the boxes anymore...too many unfinished Projects spring out :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not that bad Paul, but I do know there's a stash somewhere with all my WWII 1/72 minis which probably runs to about 1,000. But the garage reorg has started (more on that in a future post) so they may turn up.

      Delete